Booking exams at Private Visits
Please also see our additional information for Private Visits.
Private Visits take place at an approved venue provided and organised by the Visit Organiser (a teacher, school or other organisation). For practical Private Visits we normally request a minimum number of exams/candidates. There is no minimum number of candidates for Music Theory exams (Grades 6 to 8) but the venue must be an educational institution.
Visit Organisers book and run Private Visits. The Visit Organiser is responsible for organising their Private Visit and for sharing their Venue Code with any Permitted Applicants.
Permitted Applicants are applicants who have received permission from the Visit Organiser to book their candidates at their Private Visit
To find out more about requesting a Private Visit please contact your local ABRSM representative.
Organ, Percussion, Harpsichord and Choral Singing exams
Applicants will need to organise a Private Visit for these exams as we are unable to hold them at our Public Venues. Please contact your local ABRSM Representative for more information.
Closing dates and late booking
The booking period, when you can book exams at Private Visits is usually around two weeks long. If you miss the booking period, you may be able to make a late booking if space is available. Late booking opens once the booking period has closed and the Private Visit booking has been confirmed. We are unable to accept late bookings for Music Theory exams.
Find out more about late booking.
Confirming practical Private Visits
Once booking has closed we will email the Visit Organiser and any Permitted Applicants to let them know that the visit is confirmed and that they can log in to view their exam dates and times. Candidates (or parents/carers) with an account will also receive a confirmation email.
At this point, the Visit Organiser can log in and view all candidates at their Private Visit, including those booked by Permitted Applicants. They can also download a list of all candidates booked at the visit (at any time), rearrange their timetable and choose to ‘lock’ the timetable when they are happy with it. The Visit Organiser can make changes or lock the timetable up to 48 hours before the start date. It is the responsibility of the Visit Organiser to inform their candidates and any Permitted Applicants of their finalised exam dates and times.
Find out more about rearranging and locking timetables.
Confirming Music Theory Private Visits (Grades 6 to 8)
Once the booking period has closed, we will email the Visit Organiser and any Permitted Applicants to let them know that they can log in to view their confirmed Music Theory exam details. Candidates (parents/carers) with an account will also receive a confirmation email.
How to book
For additional guidance, see our user guides and videos.
- Check exam dates, booking periods and fees
- Check our additional information for Private Visits and read our Terms and Conditions for Visit Organisers (PDF).
- Get in touch with your local representatives to discuss your request for a Private Visit.
- Register and create an account, if you don’t have one already.
- Make sure you have approval for your venue. This can take up to eight working days. Once you have approval, make a note of your Venue Code. You will need to pass this on to any Permitted Applicants.
- Log in to our exam booking service, click Private Visit and select your Private Visit venue.
- Enter your candidate details. Before you begin, have all your candidate information ready: Contact ID (if known), name, date of birth, exam subject and grade/level, any access arrangements and candidate email address (optional). You can enter these details directly into our exam booking service or you can use our bulk upload option to add a list of candidates.
- You can then book and pay for your exams.